Wednesday, June 25, 2008

History, Part 1

So, you might be wondering how I got a spot as a reporter at the Olympics. Well, here’s how it started:

I first heard about the chance to volunteer at Beijing’s Olympic Games back in August when the University of Missouri (where I go to school) and the Beijing Organizing Committee for the Olympic Games (BOCOG) announced that about 50 of our journalism students could attend and cover the Games as volunteers.

A little background on the Missouri School of Journalism: there’s a reason I pay out-of-state tuition to go there. MU founded the first journalism school ever. Students work hands-on in real media outlets, like the NBC-affiliate station KOMU, or the local newspaper the Columbia Missourian. So many journalists graduated from MU, they call us the “Mizzou Mafia.”

Beijing slotted 300 spots for students from America, the UK and Australia. Most schools are bringing about a dozen. We’re bringing 61.

Anyway, back in August, Mizzou holds this informational session. Students armed with notepads, laptops or both filled every seat, step and corner of the auditorium. The girl on my left kept wondering out loud if her 5 years of language training in Mandarin would be enough; the guy on my right told stories about his years of sports reporting.

I was screwed.

By the end of the session, I didn't know much more than I knew before (a theme through this whole process), but I knew two important things: 1) Applications were due in a month, and 2) If I wanted to go, my personal essay had to rock. There was only one person to call: my grandmother.

I'll post more in between packing!

No comments: