Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Granny & Grampa

I’ve been hearing stories about my grandparents’ travels since I can remember, but one always stuck out: their first trip to China.

My grandparents were some of the first Americans to visit when China ended decades of social and economic isolation. (Nixon’s visit in 1972 was the first step in normalizing relations between the countries. Granny and Grampa visited in January 1979.) Below are two pictures of their trip, one of Grampa with a little boy wearing a Mao hat and one of Granny surrounded by woks.
When I first heard about the chance to go to Beijing with the Olympic News Service, all I could hear was my grandmother’s voice in my head: “We got to China before Coca-Cola,” she’d always say. “They were just as interested in looking at us as we were at them.” I’ve been dying to see China for myself. This summer, I finally have my chance.

My grandfather kept a journal of the trip, and I decided to bring it with me. After all, Beijing is a city where ancient hutongs (alleyways) stand next to brand-new skyscrapers. I think telling my own stories of the city will only be complete with my grandfather’s opinion – straight from his 30-year-old, hand-written journal. I wonder if the Beijing I’m reading about is anything like the city I’ll see. His introduction to the city is hilarious: “Beijing is the smoggiest place I have ever seen.” From what I hear, there’s a chance that part, at least, will still be true.

No comments: